Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday:
1. IF EBOLA BATTERS THE U.S., WE ARE NOT READY
The American health care apparatus is so unprepared and short on resources to deal with the deadly virus that even small clusters of cases could overwhelm parts of the system, according to an Associated Press review of readiness at hospitals.
2. IRAQI KURDS SLOWLY MAKING WAY TOWARDS SYRIA
The ability of the peshmerga troops to break a siege of Kobani by the Islamic State group will depend on the effectiveness of their weapons and on continued U.S.-led airstrikes.
3. SAN FRANCISCO AGAIN GIANTS OF BASEBALL
Madison Bumgarner pitches five innings of near-perfect relief and the Giants hold off the Royals 3-2 in Game 7 of World Series for their third championship in five seasons.
4. WHERE SENATE RACE TOPS $100M IN SPENDING
North Carolina's contest becomes the first one in the nation to cross that threshold, according to the nonpartisan Sunlight Foundation data.
5. ROCKET EXPLOSION SEEN AS SETBACK FOR COMMERCIAL SPACE
"We are certainly disappointed by this failure, but in no way are we discouraged or dissuaded from our objectives," Orbital Sciences chairman David Thompson says.
6. GIRLS' JIHADI QUEST STIRS FEAR AMONG PARENTS
Many in their close-knit Muslim community in suburban Denver are worried about whether their own children will be the next to be lured to terror.
7. HOW SUPERSTORM SANDY RECOVERY LOOKS ON SECOND ANNIVERSARY
Many houses, boardwalks and businesses in New Jersey and New York are rebuilt but many people are still unable to return to their homes.
8. TERMINALLY ILL WOMAN FULFILLS BUCKET-LIST WISH
Brittany Maynard, who has advanced brain cancer and plans to take her life under Oregon's death-with-dignity law, visits the Grand Canyon.
9. FDA OKAYS VACCINE TO BLOCK MENINGITIS STRAIN
The agency clears Pfizer's Trumenba to prevent a subtype of Meningococcal disease in people ages 10 to 25.
10. SISTINE CHAPEL GETS BRIGHTER LOOK
The Vatican unveils a state-of-the art illumination and air conditioning system designed to better show off the precious frescoes and protect them from dirt and heat.
- Society & Culture